Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Spinning Paper

So Boyo and I started playing around with newspaper and our drop spindles the other day. After being inspired by (Link to previous post) and hours spent on the Internet just goofing around!
Our goal is to re purpose of our newspaper into "yarn" using newspaper of course and our drop spindles.
These pictures make it look so wonderful! Look at at all that paper that could have ended up who knows where!   Boy Wonder was all for using something that may end up in a recycle bin (if we're lucky) and making it into something else! He's really worried about the recycling system here - mostly because the recycle trucks don't look much different than the garbage trucks and we think sometimes the garbage guys get the wrong cans........! 
This little project makes us feel better about waste and the environment but it really makes me happiest because it keeps his hands busy (and off my big spinning wheel!)
So totally running with a burst of inspiration and anticipation....
 We whipped out the paper, the scissors and of course the spindles.... we didn't get very far........
It's hard!
 We tried to do it the 'regular' way... using the weight of the spindle to pull the fibers and elongate them... rip! The newspaper isn't as flexible as sheep fiber! Hmmm....
We kept going (for a little while!) but I think Boyo got frustrated (oh really?). I'm serious. This is hard. You have to want to do it! You have to have results to keep a very busy 8 year old interested.... see what I was up against? My own frustration, his frustration and both of our very set .... this is how you do it ways! LOL
Oh don't worry... we're still working on it! I tried again this morning and I may have it figured out! I just gotta get my hands used to holding the drop spindle rather than uh.. dropping it! I just have to twist it while holding the paper.... hoping the paper doesn't rip..........
Here I am starting again............
and yet again...
BUT I think I've got it figured out!!! I just have to remember that it doesn't have to be perfect! No way it's going to be! AND to hold the spindle with my right hand, twist it counter clockwise ~cuz' that's the way I started and twist, twist, twist!
Boy just left for school and I can hardly wait until he gets home today to show him how to do it! I hope he will jump right in and try it again!



No comments:

Post a Comment