Thursday, December 8, 2011

Plarn!

Just in case you are asked "paper or plastic" the next time you go to the grocery store... go for plastic! I know, I know... I know okay!? They are bad for the environment. BAD bad! Fill up the landfill and never (ever) become anything but a plastic bag!
I of course have reusable grocery bags and try to avoid that whole question........ but do you think I take them to the store EVERY time? Ha! I have the best intentions of ONLY using my reusable bags, but I'm not perfect. (Blew that one right outta the water didn't I?!) I often forget the bags at home and because I'm not about to take my purchases to my car one by one; picture this...... me & Boy walking out of the grocery store......toothpaste in one pocket, eggs under an arm, each potato and onion... where?!! LOL I'm lucky if I could get the kid to carry a bag let alone a single potato!!
Because I'm human, forgetful AND distracted, I have to carry stuff out of the store in the bag from the store. Sometimes.  I admit it. I'm not environmentally friendly with my shopping bags. I'm working on it okay? I even tried to use only paper, but that bugs Boy. Bugs him bad. He's worried about all the trees that went into making those bags......... so in order to alleviate some stress at the checkout....... yeah.... I take plastic
BUT... because I don't want the bags to be in a landfill.............. I have aspirations (those are a lot like dreams - I think) I pile all those bags into my pantry closet and someday; yes! Someday I will be turning them all into something lovely!
So..... in an effort to create something out of something else... up cycle...... if you will.......... and probably (mostly) just another way to get out of dishes....... this post is about...... you guessed it.... (insert drum roll!) PLARN! Puh-lar-n. Plarn!
Fiber(ish) stuff made out of plastic bags and then made into something else! aka....Used to be grocery bags!!! .

 Plarn! Transformed into this lovely purse by T. Matthews Fine  Art. Cute huh? There is a free pattern for this little purse over at her blog... HERE
I've crocheted bags out of plarn before, but we all know how well crochet and I get along....
This little number is knit!!! Blue plastic bags turned into yarn and then made into an adorable dress!
How? Cut the bags into strips, knot them into a long skein and start knitting, just as if with yarn.
Here is the link to where I found this at... HERE. It's on the www.craftgossip.com blog!

It's amazing the stuff you can find made out of plarn - if you just look! How about this?
 An entire website of bags & totes for sale!
Kristin J has turned gently used plastic bags into hand knit eco-friendly totes and handbags! Which you can then purchase from HERE !
She does have some lovely stuff!
Hmmm.... I could just order from her... and avoid the question of plastic and/or paper yet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment