Monday, November 7, 2011

It's Monday!!

Happy Monday!
The sun is shining and its 54 degrees (Fahrenheit) & what the heck am I doing inside!?
Finishing up some knitting projects that have been banging around in my knitting back ~ that's what!?!
The KAL will be back up tomorrow! I'm almost done with it and don't have a whole lot to show you so I decided to finish some other stuff first!

I just finished Big's neck warmer and glomitt's that I'm giving him for Christmas! He's leaving for Afghanistan the beginning of December so I had to hurry up and finish things so we can have a family Christmas before he goes! Phew! Made it!!

The neck warmer is really simple! 
I used Cascade 220 Superwash Wool - it's wool but it's washable! He he he... bet you never would have guessed that?!  You can make this out of whatever you want... worsted weight anything, but it's not a good idea to put something on a soldier heading down range that isn't natural!  Wool will burn, but it won't be a crazy burn like something acrylic would be.  Acrylic fibers don't really hold up well for long and they melt. Rapidly. Hot sticky, gooey, melted yarn on Big's hands and neck didn't sound like a good idea!  So for Big, I chose this washable and natural fiber. Washable being the main reason!  I could have went with 100% wool, but I like the fact that this stuff is so washable and it won't get all stretchy and/or shrink like regular wool would!
Here is the pattern......
& here's the finished neck warmer!

Using  #8, 16 inch circular needles, cast on 118 stitches. Now all you do is work a simple 2x2 rib!  Knit 2, purl 2 and keep going (and going, and going, and going) until you have 2x2 ribbed your way to almost the end of the skein! You can measure - if you want to... I didn't! I knit until just before the end and then cast off in pattern! Knit, purl pattern! You want this thing to be around 8.5 to 9 inches long, but it's okay if it's a little longer! Unless you have a giraffe..... then you have to knit a whole lot more I guess!
Here are the Glomitt's which Big wholeheartedly approves of - see? He gave them 2 thumbs up!!
Here is the link for the pattern for the Soldier's Glomitt's over at Halcyon Yarns. *click on the highlighted text~that's the link*

I started the neck warmer a couple of weeks ago but it got lost in my bag........ I picked it up again on Saturday, but.......... I finished it yesterday (Sunday) in about 4 hours! Between watching tv and hanging out with the kid! It's kind of mindless...... k2, p2, k2, p2 around and around and around.........



No comments:

Post a Comment