Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Big and the Necessary Evils


Big (the hubs) thinks I have way too much stuff.  *HE not me!  Feels that there might be a little bit of a problem happening over here in Cupcake land.....
It's not my fault. It really isn't. It's certainly not my fault that there are places like Pinterest, Etsy and (oh no!) Ravelry. Someone took the time to create the wonderful hand knit, handmade, yummy things on those sites AND post their patterns...so obviously it must be some sort of an obligation on my part to make some of them! Right?! Can I get a 'heck yeah'!!?? Yeah! Oh yeah... A necessary evil to help out the world of creative people and get my own creative juices flowing at the same time!  I don't see a problem and I certainly don't see where it is my fault that the creative world requires a certain amount of 'stuff'! 
Another thing that makes the amount of this creative stuff seem a bit too much..... knitting needle (notions too) manufacturer's and pattern creators must work in cahoots!  I mean c'mon! How come every stinkin' time I go to make something I end up having to go buy more yarn (snicker) and usually a new needle or two? Seriously.  IF my favorite designer(s) would just work within the confines of my needle/yarn/stuff stash it would be all good.... sigh...
See what I mean? It totally isn't my fault that I have so much stuff. It really isn't. I mean really. I've made stuff for just about everyone in my family and they love it! So.. the necessary hardship of buying another needle set, circular, straight, cable... whatever... is totally justified. Totally. 
More yarn? Ha! That's a given. Pattern calls for certain kind of yarn = another trip over to the yarn store. Duh! Not my fault that another skein of something yummy spoke to me from the shelf....
yeah, yeah... you've heard them too so don't act like I'm all schizo or somethin'.....
Wanting to make something for someone means you gotta buy stuff. Have to. It's necessary. Totally. Must lay out certain amount of cash and then the time to do it.  So... since I'm already at the store.. what's a little extra yarn or a notion or two in the scheme of things? He he he....
My stuff really isn't a problem until Big sees it and then starts snooping around looking around and realizes that hey! She's got more stuff. Keep your hands off of my stuff Big & nobody gets hurt!
The only time it honestly gets to be a problem is when stuff starts to pile up.... which is why I organize!! It's all neat & tidy at my house. Okay.. usually it's neat & tidy.
That means storage!  All right... for the hubs... hiding it! Another necessary evil... make sure the hubs doesn't see it all at once. Might be overwhelming for him and he would then have a problem. Or I would...
I've come up with some pretty creative ways to store my stuff and yep! A lot of it is right out in the open! I have a lovely bowl with some lovely (read expensive) yarn in it. I had to have it ~admittedly an impulse buy and I totally don't want it to sit in the drawer all lonely & forgotten.  It's necessary (See? There is that word again) for it to be out on 'display'! Which just means that my house has a certain ambiance if you will. Cozy. Yarn is cozy & that's the designer look I'm going for.
I've cleaned up and cleaned out. Really. Don't laugh. I have. I've gone through some of the stuff that has been given to me and passed it on to some new crocheters & knitters. I've also sold some and even done the obvious... just didn't buy any. That hurts let me tell ya'.
This whole yarn/knitting thing has created a vicious cycle... to make more you must buy more. To buy more you must have a wonderful hubby like mine who loves you enough to turn a blind eye to the stuff poking out of drawers and cupboards!  I just need to make sure that he gets into the habit of checking the couch for yarn and/or needles prior to sitting......
 Even Big knows that more yarn and more yarn related things are a necessary evil for the warm hats, scarves and sweaters he wears!  Like I said Big... stay out of my stuff ..... and do not open any drawers, cupboards, closets without prior approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment